ML Work Orders™ Software gives subscribers the option to import the district’s Active Directory user names to automatically create district user accounts. Once the new account is created, the software then uses the password stored in Active Directory to authenticate the user’s login request.
There are (3) simple one-time procedures that must be performed to integrate your district’s Active Directory users with ML Work Orders™ Software:
- Setup Active Directory integration with ML Work Orders™ Software, and;
- Import Active Directory users into ML Work Orders™ Software.
- Set Roles for all imported district users.
IMPORTANT! Because of the technical knowledge required, your district’s IT administrator (or someone with a similar role) will most likely need to perform the first two procedures.
Set up Active Directory Integration
To set up Active Directory integration from any screen after logging into your ML Work Orders™ Software account using District Admin credentials:
1. Grant the MasterLibrary™ Software server access to your Active Directory server. Your IT Administrator can contact your ML Work Orders™ Software support representative for detailed instructions.
2. Select Admin > District Set Up > Active Directory Integration Admin from the top black toolbar.
The Active Directory Integration Admin screen will be displayed which includes the following fields:
- Active Directory Server (text field)
- Secure LDAP (checkbox)
- Test Connection
- Test Username
- Test Password
3. Enter your district’s server address (or IP) into the Active Directory Server field.
4. Optional: Select the Secure LDAP checkbox if your district wants to use LDAP over a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) for user authentication.
Important! If the Secure LDAP checkbox is selected, a certificate (.cer) file will need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org so that MasterLibrary Software can connect to your district’s Active Directory server. Until that certificate is provided and installed on the MasterLibrary server, you will not be able to proceed with this configuration.
Before your district’s connection settings can be saved, the connection must be tested to verify that the server exists and is connectable.
5. Enter any district Active Directory username and password in the corresponding fields.
6. Select the Test Connection button.
Connection test successful will be displayed in the Test Connectionfield if the connection can be made:
7. Select the Save button to save your connection settings.
Note: The username and password entered for testing are not saved. If any district settings are changed in the future, the connection will need to be retested.
Import Active Directory Users
To import your district’s Active Directory users from any screen after logging into your ML Work Orders™ Software account using District Admin credentials:
1. Select Admin > District Set Up > Active Directory User Import from the top black toolbar.
The Active Directory User Import screen will be displayed which includes the following fields:
- LDAP Filter
- Admin Username
- Admin Password
2. Enter an LDAP filter string in the LDAP Filter field.
LDAP Filter Example:
The example string tells the Active Directory Import where to pull the users that should be created in the district’s MasterLibrary Software account. For example, if you only wanted teachers to be added, the filter would be set to only find district teachers.
3. Enter the username and password of an administrative user in your district’s Active Directory. This user’s permissions will determine what users can be pulled from Active Directory.
4. Select the Pull Active Directory Users button to display a list of all users that can be imported into your district’s MasterLibrary Software account. Any users which can be imported will be checked.
5. Uncheck any users that should not be imported.
- If a user name is unchecked and displays in light gray text, the user already exists as an Active Directory user in your MasterLibrary Software account. There is no need to import them again.
- If a user name is unchecked and in red text, the user’s email is already associated with an account in your MasterLibrary Software. That account will either need to be deleted or have its email address changed to import this user. If you would like the existing user to be associated with anActive Directory account, please contact MasterLibrary Support for assistance.
After you’ve selected which users you wish to import into your MasterLibrary Software, click the Save button.
3. Set Roles for all imported users
The final step in setting up your district’s Active Directory Authentication is to configure the new Active Directory users’ roles on the Manage Users page (Admin > District Set Up> Manage Users).